Posted: February 22, 2015 in Relative Karma Goes Audio
Tags: , , , , , ,

This is not Part 3 of our 10-Part Countdown. It should be, but it isn’t.

interruption

I began working on Part 3 and it occurred to me that my time could be better spent Writing (yes, capital W).

“But this is a promotion of a new (sort of) release,” my inner taskmaster said. “It’s important to your burgeoning career.”

I ignored my inner voice’s loose usage of the word “career” and wondered if the sentiment were true.

Is it important? It could be, of course it could. Get the word out. Make a splash. Create some excitement. Get people reading about the new…ahhh, and there’s the rub.

As I typed “Part 3” I couldn’t help but be distracted by the hollow echo of the keys. Clickety-clack (clack) ((clack)) (((clack)))…

Why the echo? Or, perhaps more accurately, why the feeling that my words are echoing in an empty cavern?

Because my own quacking voice is all I hear.

In Parts 1 & 2 of this countdown I opened the floor for comments and questions.

<crickets>

In Part 1 I admitted to something very personal that nearly destroyed my wife and I some fifteen years ago.

<crickets>

In both preceding parts (and this is maybe most disturbing of all) I made mention of prizes. Prizes, not incidentally, that would have been purchased out of my pocket.

Cue crickets.

I don’t have a promotional team. I have only me. My day job sucks very nearly every last bit of energy I have—what I do, I do long after or before normal working hours. We all do this, of course we do. I’m no different in this regard, but it’s a point worth making. Time is limited and it could (and should) be better spent turning out new work.

I think my limited funds will stay in my pocket.

And my limited time will be spent rolling the bones and exorcising demons. Which is to say: Writing.

I’m not so whiny as to say no one cares, but I am realistic enough to see what appears to be truth: No one is reading these words.

I don’t begrudge anyone their choice to offer their attention elsewhere—we all have too much to read and do as it is. I am happy to add to the load if anyone is paying attention, but I don’t think that’s the case here.

To clarify: I will keep Writing fiction, and even blogging when I have something to get off my chest, or something that just plain amuses me enough to set down in type. But blogging and Writing are not the same thing. Writing demands I do it. Blogging is about as productive to my Writing as watching television, although a good deal less entertaining.

That’s all for now.

Comments
  1. jamesrovira says:

Most readers never reply, Marty. I’m pretty sure people are reading. You basically have two choices for promoting your work: 1. pay someone to do it for you, or 2. do it yourself. When you sell a couple million copies of something, then people will be able to make money promoting your work for you, and they’ll do it.

I did freelance writing for three years between college and grad school and realized I spent more time selling my work than I did writing it. I know that massively sucks. If you are able to work on something new, do it… never not write when you can. But, it’ll just be another work sitting on the slushpile without you selling yourself and your work.

• mott342 says:

I get that, and agree with most of it. But new work sitting on a slush pile is better than no work at all. I need to write. New work. Rework old work. Submit stories. Blogging (for me) is just procrastination in disguise. It’s easy and about as deep as a Petri dish. I’ll promote when it feels like the thing to do, or when I am between projects, but right now it is a colossal waste of time.

• mott342 says:

Incidentally, the whole point of this series was to be interactive. If “most readers never reply” then it is pointless.

• jamesrovira says:

Promotion is never a waste of time if you see writing as a vocation rather than a hobby, but I totally understand how you feel. If your writing is just a hobby — something that you do only for you — then yes, promoting your work is a waste of time. But that means you don’t care about getting published either. You’re just writing for yourself.

Liked by 1 person

2. Ernie Peters says:

Man, can I relate to the crickets. My blog exists primarily for me…and, Lord willing, my grandchildren. They can ask about grandpa, and my family can reply “Oh, he was somewhat creative, and you can go to his blog and see stuff he wrote and drew. Once in a awhile he was actually funny.”

Personally, I dig audio books (LOTS of drive time to and from work), and look forward to purchasing, and listening to your book during my commute!

Sorry I didn’t offer up comments sooner, Marty.

3. Mandie says:

This point has been made, but I don’t think it’s fair to say no one is reading this just because no one is commenting; especially to ask questions about such a difficult and private part of a person’s life. Where would you even begin asking questions? Keep up the writing and blogging (when it so entices you), and regardless of what you tap out on a keyboard, remember that you do have a substantial fan base, and someone is always reading it.

Liked by 2 people

4. jamesrovira says:

I forgot to say, I did read parts 1 and 2 of this series, but as a reader I didn’t see anything that warranted a reaction. What I saw were posts that were primarily (as they should be) promotional — a description of the work, sources for it, etc. Your longtime readers already know everything that you posted, so it’s likely they didn’t respond because (as Mandie suggested) they didn’t know what to say.

If you want to do something interactive, you might want to think about ways of engaging, first of all, readers already familiar with your work, and maybe posting a web form on the page itself soliciting responses.

Liked by 1 person

5. […] Can You Hear Me Now? Relative Karma Goes Audio. *A Disruption* of A 10-Part Countdown. […]